Join our team
Singapore Justice Training Centre (SJTC)
Development Officer based in Singapore
International Bridges to Justice (IBJ) is a not-for-profit, non-governmental organization dedicated to supporting the development of fair criminal justice systems in developing countries, with the ultimate objectives of ensuring the basic legal rights of ordinary citizens and ending torture as a tool of police investigation. IBJ seeks an entrepreneurial professional who will work with the Managing Director in Singapore, as well as senior staff in Geneva, Switzerland, to implement the organization’s vision and lead the development effort to support the Singapore Justice Training Centre’s (SJTC) consolidation in Singapore and expansion of activities in South East Asia. The Development Officer is responsible for the growth and diversification of SJTC’s funding sources, and the strength and development of SJTC’s funding relationships. Desirable personal traits of this officer include strategic thinking, goal orientation, creativity/energy/flexibility, professionalism, cultural sensitivity, and a sense of humor.
Roles and Responsibilities
More specifically, the Development Officer is tasked with the following roles and responsibilities:
- Developing and implementing a long-term development strategy to finance the SJTC’s operations and activities;
- Developing and implementing annual development plans within the SJTC’s overall plans, including:
- esearching and identifying potential major donors and available grant providers;
- setting and reaching fundraising targets;
- regularly presenting and networking at fundraising and related events, updating a major donor/grant provider database, and informing major donors/grant providers of SJTC activities;
- updating maintaining SJTC’s page on IBJ’s website; and,
\conducting frequent monitoring and an annual evaluation;
- Soliciting and securing funding for trainings of defense lawyers and related activities;
- Preparing and submitting grant proposals, including consulting/coordinating with IBJ in Geneva; Planning and managing fundraising events, and recruiting and supervising volunteers for them;
- Assisting the Managing Director with Singapore’s Charities Act and related legal compliance.
Qualifications and Competencies:
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field
- Commitment to access to justice and rule of law in South East Asia
- At least 3 years experience in development, including:
- drafting funding solicitations and grant proposals;
- planning and managing events; and,
recruiting and supervising volunteers;
- Superior oral and written communication and persuasion skills; and,
vFamiliarity with fundraising software and database management.
- Singapore citizenship or PR status;
- Experience working in a small team in a start-up environment;
- Accounting skills and experience;
- Knowledge of and contacts in Singapore legal and philanthropy and/or CSR communities; and,
Fluency in Chinese or a South East Asian language (in particular Bahasa Indonesian or Malay).
Salary will be commensurate with work experience/Singapore costs.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and CV (including references) by 2 March 2012, by email to: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org (please include “SJTC Development Officer Position” in the subject line)
Intern / Volunteer with Country Programs or JMs
We have numerous possibilities to volunteer in our headquarters office in Geneva as well as on site at one of our six country programs.
Applications for summer internships must be sent before January 15th of the year in question. Applications for internships during other periods are accepted all year long.
For examples of the kind of internship and volunteer opportunities available, please download the following file: IBJ 2012 Internship .
To apply for an internship please send a CV and cover letter explaining where and why you want to volunteer for us, and for how long you would be available, to
For other ways to help, please see Get Involved