Position: IBJ Geneva Program Associate (India Program)
About International Bridges to Justice
In recognition of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, International Bridges to Justice (IBJ) is a non-profit, non-governmental organization dedicated to ensuring the basic legal rights of ordinary citizens throughout the world. Specifically, IBJ works to guarantee all citizens the right to competent legal representation, the right to be protected from cruel and unusual punishment, and the right to a fair trial. To this end, IBJ significantly supports and enhances the legal aid efforts of criminal defenders and the government to protect individual rights and to implement existing criminal laws through providing training partnerships, legal and administrative structural support, and material assistance.
The IBJ Geneva Program Associate (India Program) will be primarily based out of IBJ’s headquarters in Geneva, working as a full-time employee for IBJ under the overall direction of the International Program Director. The Program Associate(India Program) will support the implementation of IBJ’s work program in India. The incumbent will be responsible for a variety of tasks, including but not limited to:
- Designing IBJ eLearning modules and drafting content to support training and capacity-building activities concerning legal aid and access to justice services in India.
- Researching and Analyzing the Indian criminal justice system needs, including but not limited to legislative reform, training initiatives, and programs to strengthen delivery of legal services
- Partnership building and liaising with relevant parties in India including: Government institutions; independent lawyer associations; legal aid entities; law firms; corporate sector as well as international and national civil society organizations working in the rule of law and access to justice sector.
Qualifications and Experience:
- A Law Degree (LLB, JD or equivalent) from a common law jurisdiction. An advanced university degree in law is an asset.
- A minimum of 4 years of experience as a lawyer in litigation and/or trial practice.
- Previous experience of working with Civil Society and Multilateral Organizations will be an asset.
- Knowledge of the practice and procedure of the Indian legal system, including the role of the legislature, courts, tribunals and other stakeholders.
- Fluency in English and Hindi are essential – written and spoken. Knowledge of additional regional Indian languages are an asset.
- Knowledge of technology solutions that assist the development of resources for lawyers in providing effective legal aid and access to justice.
- Ability to develop clear program plans and manage multiple activities at the same time.
- Experience in the development of high-level partnerships within the Governmental and Corporate sector in India.
- Good communication and public speaking skills.
- Capacity to work as a member of a team in a diverse international setting.
Conditions of the Position:
The Program Associate (India Program) will be based in Geneva. The initial contract will be for one year, with extensions being dependent on performance and available funding. Salary for this position will be commensurate with the candidate’s experience and qualifications.
To apply, please send a statement of interest and CV (including references) either via email to: email@example.com, or via mail to: International Bridges to Justice, 64 rue de Monthoux, CH-1201 Geneva, Switzerland. Deadline for applications: 17 May 2021