- The Syrian Interim Minister of Justice and IBJ/Syria lawyers have formed a task force to keep police stations and prisons in check so as to prevent human rights violations during this critical period.
- IBJ/Syria is working on a 24/7 duty schedule; IBJ-affiliated lawyers are taking shifts to provide emergency legal consultations and file bail applications to reduce prison overcrowding and mitigate spread of COVID-19.
- IBJ/Syria’s joint initiative with Aleppo University’s Faculties of Medicine and Pharmacies sends field teams to IDP camps to raise awareness on COVID-19 prevention, good hygiene practices, social distancing, and isolation.
- IBJ/Syria’s lawyers visited courts in Jandairis, Afrin, Raii, and Jarablus to discuss with judges shorter court proceedings and increased bail applications to decongest prisons and detention centers.
- Early during the pandemic, IBJ/Syria lawyers liaised with local councils to close all public places, including gyms, wedding halls, and mosques so as to mitigate COVID-19 spread.
Impact in Numbers
- 103 Syrian lawyers trained
- 971 cases represented
- 1,555 individuals provided pro-bono legal consultation
- 9 judges trained
- 6 justice roundtables held in Aleppo and Idlib
- 500 people reached through rights awareness campaigns
Data as of March 31, 2020
IBJ Syria was launched in 2017. Its program, Strengthening the capacities of Syrian justice sector actors, is supported by the International Legal Assistance Consortium in Sweden. Many regions of Syria are without systemic legal aid, leaving thousands of vulnerable Syrians deprived of legal protections. By strengthening Syrian lawyers to take on pro-bono legal cases, IBJ helps to ensure that those accused of crimes are judged fairly in a court of law. This helps to reduce instances of abuse – which occur most often during pre-trial detention/investigation.
The Syria program follows a three prong approach:
- building the capacity of lawyers via training;
- engaging justice stakeholders through Roundtable events; and
- empowering local communities through rights awareness campaigns.
MOUs + Partnerships
- International Legal Assistance Consortium (ILAC)
- American Bar Association Role of Law Initiative (ABA ROLI)
- Aleppo Bar Association
- Idlib Bar Association
- Daraa Bar Association
- The Syrian Aid Authority and Transnational Justice (SATJ)
- Local Administration Councils Unit (LACU)
- Local Development Organisation (LDO)
- Establish a Defender Resource Centre in NW Syria
- Expand to other parts of Syria where legal services are most needed
- Contribute to Syrian legal reform
- Continue to raise legal rights awareness
Contact us at email@example.com